Thursday, February 23, 2006

Reality Check

Part One:

I'm going to get right to the point. I applied for a job. Yep. Me. It is a sales rep position for an organic pet food company. It draws on my combined experiences of selling to businesses over the phone (calling car dealerships and trying to get them to use the services at the car auction I worked for) and selling high-quality pet foods (which I did at Doggie Empawrium). I didn't want to start looking for work yet, but it seemed like a natural match for my qualifications. So much for the "Second Summer of Travis".

Part Two:

In just a few moments, we are going to the SoBoCo Primary School to sign Alex up for Kindergarten screening. They are going to schedule his screening for sometime in the next few weeks. Then, he will be a ward of the state and I will be stripped of my parental responsibilities. I will leave the school district in charge of raising him while I move on to a paying, if not satisfying, career as a salesman.

Part Three:

I agreed in principle to buying a minivan for Bethany. Our cars are not big enough to haul a kid, a couple of dogs, and any additional passengers and luggage we may have. The stationwagon dream has been shelved, as have the remainder of my hopes and aspirations. I won't be driving the soccer-mom-mobile, but just having my name on the title makes me guilty by association.

And I always thought that "Reality" was just a format for TV shows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking to buy any station wagon was bad enough, but a mini van!?!?! I raised you better than that. Bethany, say it isn't so. Just drive two cars where ever you need to go - no big deal. Each of you gets a kid free leg of any given trip that way, to enjoy really loud tunes....problem solved..

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Mama- you raised me to know that the woman always gets her way. A mini-van it is.

JP- if that was a Chevy caprice, we could talk turkey. I'm afraid we will be in a minivan as soon as we sell our car. Thanks anyway, and good luck.

Seamhead said...

welcome to the land of the minivan, BD. The only good thing is: The golf clubs always fit in the car.