Friday, March 17, 2006

Green with Envy

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, the color green is the theme of today's post.

First, I have to brag about Alex. He passed his kindergarten screening yesterday with an overall score of 99%! He was focused, cooperative, and in good humor. At one point the screener gave him a few wooden blocks and instructed him on how to arrange them. A few seconds later she looked up from writing a note on her score sheet and was surprised to see that he was already done. "Wow, Alex! You are working so fast!" she said.

"That's because I drank coffee today," Alex answered matter of factly. (For breakfast, his Mama gave him a drop of coffee in a cup full of milk.) Needless to say, he had the room in stitches the rest of the time he was there. Since my kid is smart and funny, I figure that some parents will be green with envy.

In the NCAA tournament pool that a few friends and I are competing in, I am in first place following the first day of action. I assume that as much as they would hate to admit it, they too are green with envy.

The United States has been eliminated from the inaugural World Baseball Classic in a shocking upset. The country that invented the sport has to admit that they no longer dominate it. I guess they will be green with envy as they watch the remaining teams battle it out for the championship.

Tonight, Bethany and I will paint the town green with Grant and Brenda as we celebrate the Naughton and Barnes families' Irish heritage. It will not be a long night of debauchery this year because Grant has a test tomorrow morning at 8:00. I guess he doesn't want to be green around the gills when he shows up for class.

That's it. Wear something green today and remember that we're all Irish on St. Patrick's Day. Some of us are just more full of blarney that the rest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Pat's Day. Tell your little leprechaun his Aunt & Uncle are proud of him for passing Kindergarten screening. Wait'll...

Anonymous said...

..and the winner of the "King of Blarney" goes to (drum roll please)
our own Travis Naughton....

Anonymous said...

When Alex was at my house last night I asked him about the testing. I asked him if they asked him to identify body parts. He said yes, his knuckles, his elbows, etc. I asked him if they asked him where his jaw was and he said: "No, and they didn't ask me about my private parts either. " I said: I guess because they're private, huh? He grinned and said: "Yah." Your son cracks me up too.

Anonymous said...

With all the "nice" postings, I am challenged to be different. Are you sure Alex is your child Blog Daddy? Surely he couldn't be the off-spring of the guy with the hat, boots and goats?!!!