Saturday, June 03, 2006

Catfish Blues




A sad event has occurred on Bud Wyman Lane. My neighbor, in an apparent attempt to remove a blanket of algae from the surface of his pond, used two water pumps to "turn over" the pond. The results were nothing less than cataclysmic. Not only did he kill the algae, he also killed the fish. Not just the little ones that got sucked into the pumps, either. No, he managed to kill every big fish that Alex and I have caught in the past few years. The catfish and bass that I posted pictures of on this blog in the past were floating belly-up just hours after my neighbor churned up their water. A dozen or so 3-5 pounders who had survived a dam break, several droughts, and a few battles at the end of my fishing line were no match for a man who wanted his pond to look pretty. The carnage was almost too much to bear. Summer hasn't even begun officially and already my favorite fishing hole has been rendered barren. Well, the timing seems appropriate. On Monday, I begin working full-time and Alex starts summer school. At least we have our memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will people learn not to "fool with Mother Nature"? I never thought I would be sentimental about fish, but after seeing pictures and hearing about Alex kissing fish and throwing them back in the water, I have developed a fondness for those particular fish. They seem like old friends. I share in your grief over the loss of your favorite fishing spot.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

I don't know what he was thinking, but now he has a fountain running 24/7 to keep it from getting mucked up again. Hopefully there are a few survivors that I can watch grow over the next few years.

They were family friends, that's for sure.