Sunday, June 18, 2006

Dad To The Bone


Here I sit wearing my "Dad to the Bone" T-shirt while drinking coffee and blogging in a silent house on Father's Day. Alex spent the night at his Grandma Glee's house last night while Bethany and I went to a Summer Solstice party with friends. And although a quiet, peaceful Sunday morning is appreciated by myself and most other fathers, I still can't think of anything I would rather do than spend Father's Day with my son. And so, we will pick him up in a few minutes and then journey to my Dad's house for some multi-generational Father's Day fun. (Maybe get in a little fishing, too.)

This Father's Day is especially emotional for me because it comes at a time when I am working full time for the first time in over three years while Alex is going to school full time for the first time ever. I sometimes can't wrap my mind around the concept of how lucky I was as a Dad to be able to spend the last few years at home with my son. I don't think very many fathers get the opportunity to spend so much quality time with their kids like I did. Although Bethany told me I can have a CD player installed in my car as a Father's Day gift, I will consider the chance to bond with my son over the past few years to be the greatest Father's Day gift a man could ever receive. Thank you, Sugar-Mama, for that and for everything else you and Alex do to make me the luckiest man alive.

PS: Yes, that is a picture of Alex and me playing with a Steve Urkel doll. Jealous?

No comments: