Friday, August 11, 2006

Done with Disney


I have decided not to divulge every last detail about the last three days of the Disney trip. Suffice it to say that we went back to the Magic Kingdom for a second day, went to Epcot on Friday, and then drove 19 hours straight to get home. The drive was the most exciting part of those three days. Bethany "Mrs. Magoo" couldn't drive at night because her glasses were now a part of the Atlantic Ocean ecosystem. That forced me to drive from 8:00pm to 5:00 am. When I became delirious from sleep deprivation at about 2:00, Bethany took over for a short while. Within 15 seconds of her getting behind the wheel, Magoo (wearing her prescription sunglasses) nearly drove down a 30 foot earthen embankment instead of the on-ramp to the highway. Ater Jessica and I stopped crying, I got a little shut-eye. I was jolted from my slumber in East St. Louis when my dear wife began to freak out trying to read street signs while attemting re-entry into Missouri. I guided her to a place to pull over so that I could take over again. The gas station we pulled into was occupied by four police cars, one K-9 unit barking loudly, and several "cuffed and stuffed" suspects. We opted to get gas later. At 5:00 am, we finally arrived at home. I felt as though I had been in a 15 round heavyweight bout. I was sore, exhausted, and punch-drunk. Our Disney Odyssey had concluded. What a long, strange trip it had been.

I swore off driving vacations for a while. Bethany however, got a new pair of glasses and said, "Tennessee sure was pretty. I wouldn't mind going back there next year." Of course she was admiring the Volunteer State through sunglasses at night.

"That sounds nice, dear."

No comments: