Friday, August 04, 2006

Non-Disney Day

After being innundated with Disney propaganda for three straight days, we decided to take a day off from the House of Mouse and take in the local culture. Nothing says Florida like alligators, so off we went to "Gatorland". If my stupid computer would let me post pictures you could see Alex and Olivia sitting on the back of a real, live alligator. After a gator wrestling demonstration by the trained pros, kids were given their chance to tame the beasts with the help of a little duct tape (one million uses and counting.) We also saw plenty of birds, snakes, and crocodiles while we were there.

After the novelty wore off, we loaded up the vans and headed to Cocoa Beach. All Alex could talk about while at Gatorland was wanting to find shells in the ocean. Well, he found a ton of shells. He couldn't have cared less about the view, the dolphins swimming near us, or the water itself. He had shells, and he was happy. His mommy helped him find the discarded mollusk exoskeletons at the expense of her corrective eyewear. Moments after I reminded her to take her prescription sunglasses off before entering the water, she was blindsided by a wave as she was bent over combing the surf for treasures. She heeded my warning about removeing her shades (much to my surprise). However at some point she switched to her regular eyeglasses and promptly lost them in the great blue sea. We searched in vain for them for about 14 hours to no avail. Had she been wearing her shades instead of her clear (and nearly invisible while underwater) regular glasses, we probably would have found them. So you see, it was all my fault that they were lost. Had I just kept my mouth shut she would have been wearing the darker sunglasses which would have been easy to find in the shallow surf.

It had to be my fault. I am the husband. I would pay for my mistake days later during the 19 hour drive home. Details in a future posting...

No comments: