Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Another Reason to Hate Kansas

The famous Missouri outlaw Jesse James led raids against people who had the misfortune of calling Kansas home. The Missouri Tigers and the Kansas Jayhawks have the second oldest rivalry in all of college football (and one of the most bitter). Norm Stewart hated the state of Kansas so much that he never spent a single night there in all the 33 years he coached the Tigers basketball team against KU and K-State (he didn't want to spend any money in their damned state). Now, the Kansas Board of Education has given us yet another excuse to despise our ignorant neighbors to the west. They have voted to de-emphasise the science of evolution in their classrooms by teaching "intelligent design". http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9967813/ "Intelligent Design" is the new, politically correct term for "Creationism". Creationism is NOT science, it is religion and therefore is in direct violation of the Constitutional separation of Church and State. In Kansas, teachers are now free to impose their religious beliefs upon their students by telling them that God created all life and that evolution hasn't been taking place on our planet over the past 4 or 5 billion years. I guess the fossil record and all of the scientific journals written since Darwin's revolutionary discoveries are all part of the "Liberal Media Conspiracy" that the Fox News Channel keeps telling me about. Missourians should take a great deal of delight in finding yet another reason to hate Kansas. (As if we needed one!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is part of the Liberal Media Conspiracy. Ask the professors at Hannibal LaGrange. They will tell you that yes, there is a fossil record, but that God created the earth to look old. I only had to take one class there, thank goodness. As a 6th grade teacher who taught earth science, I was frequently put in a position where kids asked about the discrepancy between science and religion. I always encouraged my students to look at all explanations and then accept the one that made the most sense to them or that was in line with their family beliefs. I am a Christian, but I do not feel it is my job to spread my ideas as the only acceptable way. Can I explain the discrpancies? No. I accept science with my mind and relgion with my heart. Right or wrong, it works for me. I too object to a public school that teaches religion in a class that is not part of the Theology program.

Seamhead said...

All that DNA and genetic research is a bunch crap made up by Ted Kennedy.

Seriously though, my good friend Andy is a Methodist pastor. Once in sermon he said school is where you go to learn how things are. Church is where you go to try to understand why things are.

Isn't faith something you have in the face of all evidence? You shouldn't need evidence to prove your faith.