Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Shades of Grey

"Terrell Owens should be banned from football." "Pete Rose should be banned from baseball." " Tookie Williams should be put to death." "George Bush is the anti-Christ." "Quin Snyder is a loser." How many of these statements would you agree with? "Mark McGwire is a great role model for kids." "Brad and Jennifer have the perfect marriage." "The United States war with Iraq is completely justified." How many of these beliefs have you held? My point is that all too often we make the mistake of viewing our world in black and white. We take a stand, hold an opinion, and insist that things are either good or bad. I have made this mistake throughout my life. The more I stop to consider the opposing position, the less certain I am that things are always so cut and dry.

I was among the first to crucify Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens for being a first rate ass when it came to disrupting the chemistry of his football team. Most people believe he is a jerk who doesn't deserve a second or third chance at playing football in the NFL. This week, Lion's cornerback Dre Bly blamed the firing of Coach Mariucci on the pathetic play of quarterback Joey Harrington. He criticized his team's leader in a public manner just as T. O. did a few weeks earlier. Yet no one is calling for his ban from football. Why? Because he's partially right? It shouldn't matter if he is right or not, the statements should never have been made to the press by either player. So are Owens and Bly "bad guys" undeserving of further opportunities in the League? Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkis once bit a referee on the nose during a game. Yet he continued to play, was voted to the Hall of Fame, and is often referred to as a hero by his fans. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to decide that Owens or Bly are good or bad. Maybe they are merely human beings instead of the "heroes" that fans have placed upon pedestals only to be inevitably knocked off of. They have families, work with charities, and have hopes and dreams just like everyone else. Seldom do we pause to consider that whether they are making a big play in a game or an ass of themselves at a press conference they are still just people doing the best they can to make it in this world.

The case of
Stan "Tookie" Williams is a poignant example of what I mean by asking, "Is he good or bad?". Williams is the founder of the most notorious street gang in America, the Cryps. He was convicted of four counts of murder in the late 1970's and has been on Death Row ever since. During his time in California's San Quentin Prison, he has become an outspoken anti-gang activist. He has influenced countless young people to stay away from gangs by writing several books cautioning kids against the lifestyle. He has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in preventing kids from destroying lives by joining gangs. He is scheduled to be executed in two weeks.

My point is that all too often, people rush to judgment on a person or situation and stand by that position no matter what. It is my opinion that people are rarely completely good or bad and that their true nature lies somewhere inbetween. Before you rush to judge someone remember that unless you know everything about that person, you probably are in no position to judge their character. "Judge not, lest thee be judged." "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone." I know I'm quick to judge sometimes. Later I usually regret being so sure of myself when I discover that I really didn't have enough information to form such an opinion. Perhaps we could all be less hasty to condemn or idolize and more diligent in our search for the real nature of people. What do you think?

3 comments:

DLS said...

Well, I don't want to rush to judgment, but I still think that you're short...

Violent Farmer said...

Are you shorter than me? I think so, and I'm Chinese.

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

I MUST have poor judgment. I was just talking to Jerry today about how much I have in common with the Troy Boys and their hangers-on. I think I may need therapy or something. And no, Paul, I am not shorter than you. I'm Irish, so you can tell all of your friends that even Leprechans are taller than you!