Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Old Years Resolutions

It isn't too early to start pondering New Year's Resolutions for 2006. Most of us think of one or two of them while our brains turn to mush as the New Year's Eve Parties get going. Few of us take the time to really think about what we want to accomplish in the New Year. Fewer still actually write down their resolutions and periodically refer to them to monitor their progress. In recent years, I have written mine and have managed to accomplish many of them. My list for 2005 reads as follows:

1. "Eat smaller portions." I think I did a pretty good job of this one. Of course I allowed myself occasional "Belly up to the trough" style pizza binges. Thanksgiving and other holidays are automatic exemptions. So I would say that on a scale of 1 to 10 on how well I did with this resolution I would give myself a 7.

2. "Drink only 'light' beer and 'diet' soda." This was the companion resolution to #1 with the goal of limiting my caloric intake. It was tough going from tasty dark beers to watered down lights, but I think it was a good idea. Compliance rating: 9.

3. "Walk or exercise 2 to 3 times per week." I was doing really well on this one until a bolt of lightning hit our house and killed our treadmill. I was running 30 or more minutes a day 3 or 4 days a week at my peak. Then Mother Nature intervened and I slowed my level of physical activity to pre- 2005 levels. Success rating: 5.

4. "Build a treehouse, clubhouse, or moonshine shack." Let's just say, the year ain't over yet...

5. "Be a more patient father and husband." I read a parenting book this year that showed me how better to handle my son when he acts inappropriately, which was a major source of stress and patience worn thin at our house. It simply suggested pretending that my son is an alien from another planet. You wouldn't expect an alien to behave appropriately according to earth customs in every situation he is presented with. You wouldn't scream at an Alien in Walmart if he threw a fit at the checkout counter because he wanted a piece of candy. You would simply explain that here on earth, we don't behave that way. You wouldn't expect him to learn earth's customs and nuances immediately, but instead would allow for him to adjust to our culture. You certainly wouldn't spank an alien for behaving badly at a wedding. You would explain to him that here on earth, we let the groom kiss the bride first, etc. So when Alex does something that is not acceptable I try to explain to him that here on earth we don't behave that way. It works. Since my stress levels go down as my patience levels go up, I become a better husband, too. Success rating: 9.

6. "Be a more attentive father and husband." You have to make a deliberate effort to listen to your family, play with your kid's toys, support your wife's quest to ride in a 150 mile bike tour. You have to pay attention and get involved in the things that make your family happy. Simply nodding your head and saying, "That's nice, dear" are not enough. You only have a precious few opportunities to make your child's day by being "into" whatever it is he's "into". Take advantage. Success rating: 8.

7. "Publish a children's book." Although it has not been published, I co-wrote a kid's book about the history of Thanksgiving with Alex. Last year I wrote a book called, "Sometimes I Make Bad Choices." It tells about a few of Alex's exploits and that "Mommy and Daddy love me... even when I make bad choices." Either book may become published but if not, I think I still did OK with this one. Compliance rating: 8.

8. "Have more fun." This was the "Summer of Travis," afterall. Level of accomplishment: 10.

9. "Live my life outloud." Simply put, this means don't be afraid of being yourself. Don't worry about being embarrassed. Speak your mind. Wear your emotions on your sleeve. Be outgoing. Be impulsive. Live outloud. This blog is a great tool for accomplishing that goal. Success level: 10.

10. "Use the word 'ginormous' (giant and enormous) at least once a day." Lost interest after February or so. Compliance rating: 2.

There you have it. I think I did pretty good overall this year. I will start thinking of next year's goals and turn them into resolutions. Then I will post them on this blog for all the world to see. That way I will be able to turn my readers into compliance monitors to make sure that I remain on task. Until then, I will revert to my idiodic and hopefully humorous posts that you all have come to know and love.

1 comment:

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

Jagua,
I am intrigued by this Pronoid idea. And it just so happens that I have an actual pair of rose-colored glasses that I found in the desk drawer earlier today! In these dark ages of "Texas Justice", they could be just what the doctor ordered.