Monday, June 20, 2005

Father's Day Review

For me, every day is Father's Day. Yesterday was simply the day we officially recognize the contributions of the male parental unit. Did you know that this was the 33rd year the holiday has been celebrated? I just happen to be 33 years old, so my dad has been an honoree every year that the holiday has existed. That's a lot of neckties, hats, English Leather cologne, and toys bought for myself under the guise of calling them gifts for Dad. In the past few years, a phone call is usually all Dad gets from me (he has enough stuff in storage already). I hope that call means as much to him as it does to me. Its a chance to say thanks for being my dad, and that I appreciate all that you have done for me.

I know that my family appreciates me. Bethany and Alex gave me a great Father's Day this year. As they drove to the grocery store to buy ingredients for my special breakfast, I walked over to the neighbor's pond and caught a couple of fish. When they returned I was treated to pancakes, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and a tall, chocolate milk served in my Superman glass. After breakfast, I read all the "cars for sale" papers that they picked up at the store for me that they know I like to gloss over and daydream about. Later, we dropped Alex off at my mom's and went to watch Star Wars. Bethany and her mom hadn't seen it yet and they didn't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to see it again. After the movie, we picked out a new TV to replace the one that died in our bedroom a few weeks ago. Then we went to the new catfish restaurant in Ashland to cap off the day with some deep-fried Americana. Not a bad day for Dear-Old-Dad! To top it all off, my mom bought me a toaster oven to make being a stay at home dad a little easier. Thanks for my great day everybody.





No comments: