Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Tom Sawyer Days


There once lived a more talented and prolific writer than even I, who hailed from the same hometown, Hannibal, Missouri. You may have heard of this Mark Twain dude. He wrote some books and stuff. One story was about this kid who did some stuff. Another was about this kid and his bud, and some stuff they did. I think there was something about a river or something. Anyway, Mark Twain didn't have TV to distract him like I do. If he would have had a satellite dish, I'm sure the best he could have come up with would have been a crappy blog like this. The point is, I will be in that historic community this weekend for the world famous Tom Sawyer Days Celebration. There will be the Tom Sawyer & Becky Thatcher look-alike contests, fence painting, frog jumping, mud volleyball, and tricycle races to name a few of the crazy goings-on. I for one enjoy watching people make fools of themselves in public. That explains why I have the friends that I do. Wherever you go this Fourth of July Weekend, I promise you will not see as many white-washed, mud-covered, straw hat wearing, drunken, frog molesting rednecks on tricycles as I will. Thank you Mark Twain for fostering an enviornment that encourages this kind of behavior. It may not be what you had in mind for the future of the sleepy little river town you exposed the world to in your famous books, but I think you would be proud to know that absolutely nothing has changed in the 120 years since you left. Well, there is a beer garden downtown these days. I guess you can call that progress! http://www.hannibaljaycees.org/tomsawyer.htm

2 comments:

Seamhead said...

Travis, I think you just named my band. 'Rednecks on Tricycles' AWESOME!

TheNotQuiteRightReverend said...

That does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?