Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Summer of Travis Officially Begins

As I previously declared, this is the Summer of Travis. Today is the first official day of summer and I feel that I am off to a very good start. In the past month since I announced my retirement I've gone fishing about a dozen times (and caught fish on all but one of those occasions). I've seen the new Star Wars movie twice. I went to a minor league baseball game with friends. I went on a week's vacation with my beautiful wife, our friends, and family to Mexico. I have spent almost every day with the funniest 4 year old kid who ever lived. I have watched an unnatural amount of Nascar races and Cardinals games on TV. I went skinnydipping. I was in my best friend's wedding. I bonded with my brothers and father while fixing up Dad's old boat. I have witnessed my mom getting a new career, a new car, and a new lease on life. I watched Bill Herrin cradle his infant son and leave a wedding reception first, instead of watching someone drag him out last. I hosted a bachelor party that resulted in zero arrests and plenty of great (if not blurry) memories. I golfed at Eagle Knoll- a four star course. I played a round of disc golf with my son. I got a brand new set of poker chips for being in Grant and Brenda's wedding. I got to watch my poker buddy Paulie kill in his debut at Deja Vu Comedy Club. I started this blog. I survived a lightning strike. If it ended today, I could rightfully claim to have had a very fulfilling summer. But instead, today is just the first day of summer! I'm not bragging or anything. I just hope to inspire you all to enjoy your summer as much as possible. I know that I may never have it this good again, so I better damn well take advantage of it. Those are words we can all live by. But I'm still calling it "The Summer of Travis"!!!!

No comments: